Lima Locomotive & Machine Co.

Photo Credit:
N. Riggs, Queenstown, Tasmania
Shop Number 704 - Built for: North Mount Lyell Copper Co.
{648th Lima Built Shay}
Built:
5-12-1902
Class:
B
40-2
Trucks:
2
Cylinders:
[#-Dia. x Stroke]
3 - 11 x 12
Gear Ratio:
2.21
Wheel Dia.:
33"
Gauge:
42"
Boiler:
[Style - Dia.]

W.T. - 44"
Boiler Pressure:
In Lbs. (PSI)
180
Tractive Effort:
19,691 Lbs.
Factor of
Adhesion:

4.68
Maximum
Safe Speed:

17.8
Fuel Type:
Wood & Coal
Fuel Capacity:
2 Cords / 3.25 Tons
Water Capacity:
1,670 Gallons
Empty Weight:
As built
72,000
Owners:
North Mount Lyell Copper Co., North Mount Lyell RY #6, Gormanston, Tasmania, Australia
American Trading Co., Perth, West Australia
(1-23-1907) Bunning Brothers, Lion Mill (St. Helena), West Australia
(5-1926) Bunning Brothers, Argyle, West Australia
Disposition: (1947) Scrapped
Additional Notes: From Rails Through The Bush by Adrian Gunzburg and Jeff Austin: B/N704/1902 was bought by Bunning Bros. for use at their sawmill at Lion Mill, Western Australia. Lion Mill is now known as Mt. Helena. She was known as "DIRTY MARY" for her ability to spray oil over herselff and anybody standing in the vicinity of the cylinders. The name was never painted on the engine. She was in service at Lion Mill at 23 January 1907. She ran there until July 1925 when the mill closed. The locomotive then underwent an overhaul and received a new boiler made by Hoskins & Co.Ltd. in May 1926. She then went into service at the Bunning Bros. mill at Argyle, Western Australia. She was not popular on the forest tramways and often derailed on the poor track. As a result she was used generally to shunt around the mill and haul sawn timber to the main line siding at Argyle. The mill burnt down in 1945 and the loco was laid aside. In 1947, the loco was dismantled and parts sent to company mills for re-use. The only part left at Argyle was the water tank which was still lying at the old mill site in the 1970's. It has since disappeared. The boiler was moved to the company's Manjimup workshops in Setember 1950 and used to burn sawdust. It is no longer used for that purpose but is still insitu at Manjimup.